Search This Blog

Thursday, March 31, 2016

Period 2; Thornberg, I Spring Break

Spring Break

Unlike most of my peers, my spring break was pretty great. I turned thirteen on the 24th, but I chose not to have a giant party or anything like that. Strange, I know, but I usually don't have a party for my real birthday. Ever since my baby brother, Sawyer, was born, we've shared a birthday in between the both of ours. He turned two on the 18th; thank goodness he wasn't born the day after my birthday like he was predicted to do! This year, we had our birthday on the 19th. Mom got us the most delicious cakes I've ever eaten, let me tell you. Clay's Bakery is my favorite little pastry shop ever, and it's insanely delicious despite the ridiculously low prices. We had two separate cakes, each decorated specially according to what we liked. For me, the cake was art themed. It had an easel, a pen, a pencil, a paint brush, and paint splatters (made of frosting, of course) all over its chocolate frosted sides! On the interior, both cakes were double layered chocolate chip pound cake goodness, and if anyone's expecting a birthday soon, I highly recommend Clay's. After stuffing ourselves of cake, we obviously went ahead and received our gifts. I knew I would only be receiving one this year for a fact, but I did get a few nice gift cards on the side in addition. Instead of having a party, I wanted all my money to go towards a new gaming laptop. My first computer was hands down awful. It was even worst than the slowest school computer you can think of, and trust me when I say you should take me very literally on this. Opening Chrome was like a three hour wait period, one that we all hoped died along with the Internet explorer browser. Beyond that, I couldn't move my mouse across the screen, with or without an application running in the background, without my laptop acting up or even occasionally shutting down. Anyway, my new computer was the dream, and definitely exactly what I'd hoped to have with the first computer. I've honestly downloaded giant gigabyte files by the quadruplets, and still been able to have a ton of extra tabs and games playing with no lag. I've said it once but I'll say it again; my new computer was the absolute dream. However, one sad part of my birthday was that my friends didn't come over on the actual party day. April fool's on you! This was planned in advance; my mother reserved us some spots in 'Escape the Room Philadelphia' for the 20th, as I've done one of these puzzle type rooms before. Most people, to my ultimate surprise, have never done one of these kinds of things, but if you're birthday's coming up, again, I highly recommend it. Basically, these 'Escape the Room' places are giant mysteries that you have to solve by finding clues within the room, which you're locked into. You have one hour to solve the puzzle, and usually the success rates aren't high. Even then, we found the key and got out in under forty-seven minutes! After the excitement died down and a day went past, my family and I went down to the beach where my grandparents live, for a second birthday celebration. We ate Poppop's home-made chicken and dumplings, and then went to the beach. After playing in the icy spray and thick, black sand, we kicked our feet off on the board walk and went to the bookstore. Finally, as I was thirteen, I was deemed old enough to read Game of Thrones, and that's just what I bought. We got fudge from Candy Kitchen, and then ate another delicious dinner of Grotto's pizza before leaving for home. Afterwards, I soon realized I'd forgotten to keep up with my track running, and managed to get in about two days of running before Easter. Easter was amazing as well, although I disliked having to wake up early and sing for an unidentified religious building. Sawyer's second Easter egg hunt was adorable, and the older kids had a lot of fun, too. At my church, we have these things lovingly dubbed as 'confetti eggs'. Basically, these are half of an emptied egg shell hand painted by volunteers and filled with confetti, then duct taped and hidden for the older kids. I cut my hand cracking one of the eggs on my step-sister's head, but luckily it didn't bleed all too long. Then, we went home to search for our baskets; Sawyer positively squealed as he found his in the tree-house, as well as the rest of ours. That lazy, Cadbury Creme Egg filled day was the last I had of freedom... er, spring break.

No comments:

Post a Comment