Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Pd 2: Kate C's Found Poem


Alone… Together
In the glow
lightning flashes.
Rain splattered against the windowpane
I watched a flurry of girls pick up their things.


I’d shed all the tears my body could produce.
I felt drained.
I hadn’t been the only one crying
all I could hear were the echoes of my sobs from the girls.


Midnight
The sound of a bell ringing startled me.
I drifted off to sleep
Somehow.
First night away
we were all alone
together.

Found poem inspired by Christina Gonzalez’s The Red Umbrella

I have chosen this excerpt to do my poem with because I felt it was a very powerful moment between Lucia and her other refugee peers. Crying was echoing through the rooms, they were feeling sad because they missed their families back home.  The Red Umbrella features many powerful moments but this one, I feel, shows the main message of the story. Empathy and acceptance are the key points the plot is trying to portray. Christina Diaz Gonzalez  based the story of Lucia and Frankie off her parents’ story. She wanted to show the pain her parents went through to get the tolerance and acceptance that was needed to live a happy life.

No comments:

Post a Comment