Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Pd2: Jayden S.

Taking Notice

“Miss Lucia Alvarez?”
In perfect English I said present
Everyone turned and stared at me .

She place a hand on my shoulder
“If she needs help, please help her.” Mrs. Brolin said
I sank in my seat
Hoping everyone would look away.

They did, except a smiling boy
with freckles
He held up a piece of paper
“Hi I’m Eddie” it said.

This wasn’t the type of attention intended
But it was nice to know
That someone had noticed me
In a good way.

Found poem inspired by Christina Diaz Gonzalez’s “The Red Umbrella”


Becoming a new student is hard enough, it’s even harder when you come to a brand new country.  This is what Lucia had to go through when she came to America. This scene was chosen  because it has two examples of empathy and it’s one of the first big events for her in America.  The first example is when the teacher called Lucia out and told everyone that she might need help since she is new.  Although Lucia said this was a bad thing it shows how the teacher cared and wanted to protect Lucia.  The second example, when Eddie introduces himself, also shows that he cared about her.  It also shows that all it takes is one person to change someone else's thoughts.  Both of these situations show how people can be empathetic  toward one another and can affect emotions.

No comments:

Post a Comment